RE: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded

From: John Dailey <John.Dailey_at_concept-solutions.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:44:16 -0800

Hi Charlie... the parameter DB_FILES is set in the init file... you have to bounce the instance after you increase it.

The parameter you are thinking of is MAXDATAFILES which is in the control file. And you are correct; you would need to ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE, edit that MAXDATAFILES parameter, and recreate the controlfile if it were exceeded. Sounds like you just need to change DB_FILES though considering your error. DB_FILES and MAXDATAFILES can be different; might generate the trace file anyway just to check that the MAXDATAFILES setting is ok. I don't know of any other way to check it; somebody else may have a better method.

BTW... is San Diego still as sunny as ever? I'm still hooking and jabbing here in DC... send me some more pictures of the Pacific.

:-)

John Dailey, MCSE/MCP+I
Consultant
Concept Solutions, LLC