RE: RE: MetaSlop - Another Response Scenario for Paul.

From: Kevin Kostyszyn <kevin_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:32:52 -0800

I have
to leave before I get fired for laughing too loud!!!  Ross is officially the site comedian and witmaster!!

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Mohan, RossSent:   Tuesday, February 27, 2001 4:58 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RE: RE: MetaSlop - Another Response Scenario for   Paul.
  Scenario Two:

  ########################## For Immediate Release
  ###############################

  Ap/UPI/AFP/Reuters ---  Redwood Shores, 27 Feb 00           Oracle Denial
  of Service Attack
  Oracle Corporation announced today, in a stunning revelation,   that they have been issuing a massive Denial of   Service (DoS) attack against its own customers via its   "Support" website, MetaBlink.
  The scam worked like this:  clever hackers within Oracle   Corporation configured MetaLink with Oracle default   values, guaranteeing devastating failure. As long term   Oracle customers, sorely vexed by arcane command sequences, <FONT   size=2>byzantine product offerings, and constantly shifting product versions   came to the "support web site" to seek help, they were   shunted away, losing hours of productive time,   watching key applications fail, marriages dissolve,   and world peace slip from their grasp.   Precisely at this vulnerable moment, a crack team of marketers   ( or a team of crack-smoking marketers, field reports   are not clear ) created a campaign to lead key   customers to believe "application upgrades" and "more   hardware" were the problem.
  Sources in the McNealy Command Bunker indicate Oracle's   innovative DoS is working, as record numbers of   customers are throwing massive amounts of hardware at   problems relatively easy to rectify. Further, back at <FONT   size=2>Armani HQ, Redwood Shores, initial reports are that the "application   upgrades" orders are coming in quickly.   IBM, HP, and other industry leaders are likely to follow the   Oracle Corporation trend, and begin to knock off key   customers shortly, using a combination of DoS,   confusing price plans, deliriously inaccurate marketing campaigns,   and other tools of corporate psychological warfare.

  ( - Ross Mohan, Cub Reporter, Daily Planet )   -----Original Message----- From: Paul   Baumgartel [<A
  href="mailto:PaulB_at_instipro.com">mailto:PaulB_at_instipro.com]   Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 3:21 PM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: RE: RE: MetaSlop
  And if you were running a comparable system, what would *you*   say?
  Paul Baumgartel InstiPro, Inc.
  paul.baumgartel_at_instipro.com 212
  813-0829 x103 (office) 917
  549-4717         (mobile)

  -----Original Message----- Sent:
  Tuesday, February 27, 2001 2:51 PM To: Multiple   recipients of list ORACLE-L
  Man, these guys just invite the wise-ass comment, don't   they?  Such as:
  Well maybe if the product worked better/was less confusing/had   better documentation we wouldn't all be in   Metalink! Oh no!  If 4 new servers brought the   system to its knees just think how bad it'll be when   the rest of the hardware arrives! 4 new   top-of-the-line servers, just think what that'll do to their power   unit charges!
  Plus I can't rid myself of the image of us all 'staggering' to   Metalink for help.
  Jim
>>> dgoulet_at_vicr.com 02/27/01 01:21PM
>>> For those interested, right from the
  horses mouth, or other orifice as you desire:

  News & Notes <FONT

  size=2>
  MetaLink Performance - An Update
    We apologize for the slow response times recently on   MetaLink. All over the world
  our customers are coming to and using this valuable <FONT   size=2>  knowledge base in staggering numbers. Our Global IT team are   working these performance issues as their number one   priority.
    What is Being Done   This
  week four new front-end web servers were brought on line to help   manage the load. Additional hardware
  has been purchased and will   arrive soon which   will make a significant improvement in performance.     We appreciate your patience during this time of   significant growth in MetaLink <FONT
  size=2>usage.
    Thanks,   The MetaLink
  Team