RE: Stand by db

From: Jack C. Applewhite <japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:24:49 -0800

Kevin,

In addition to what the others have said, thoroughly check your Production DB to ensure that all your table, index, etc., etc. segments are flagged as LOGGING.

It may seem ridiculously obvious that everything should be logged to keep the Standby DB in sync with Production, but some previous contract DBAs set up the Standby DB that I've inherited without doing that check. Therefore, the Standby DB got progressively more and more behind our Production DB. I'll have to rebuild it here pretty soon.

Query DBA_Tab_Columns for all tables that have LOGGING as a column, then query each of them to see that no segments are flagged as NO LOGGING.

The only other thing that I can think of is to remember that when you add a tablespace or a datafile to a tablespace, you'll need to visit the Standby - which will have kicked itself out of Managed Standby Mode - to add the datafile there.

Good luck.

Jack

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator/Developer
OCP Oracle8 DBA
iNetProfit, Inc.
Austin, Texas
www.iNetProfit.com
japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com

Author: Jack C. Applewhite
  INET: japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Feb 27 2001 - 14:24:49 CST