RE: Anyone using CA products?

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:09:01 -0800

[begin rant]

I spent a week and a half (while doing regular work, of course) trying to just INSTALL the ManageIT Framework, and couldn't make the client console and the server exchange messages. I could see all the devices on my network, but I couldn't send a simple message from the server to the client, or the other way around, I can't remember now and I de-installed the whole thing.

Finally CA support (sounding a little annoyed at me for asking my sales rep why they hadn't called me back) said: "You just want to use the DBA tools? You don't need the framework for that! It's nice to have, but not necessary."

Strangely, their trial kit manuals all list how to install the Framework before listing how to install the DBA tools. A Framework CD ships with every DBA tool they sell - so now I have three of those CDs. Maybe they could have mentioned in their documentation somewhere that the framework is not necessary. I also get the impression that the people who packaged the instructions weren't there to see how their own software installs. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but if I was trying to sell a package that costs thousands of dollars, I would make darn sure before I ship it that it is easy to install, easy to configure. And I prefer useful documentation in black and white on 8 &half; x 11 sheets of paper than glossy brochures with instructions that don't accurately describe how to install the software.

I also find that while trying out DBA tools, all the vendors seem to assume that this is the only thing you are doing, as if before you started testing their product you were doing nothing at all.

2-week keys for trial software are more a hassle than a help - it discourages people from installing software. It always seems to take them 2 or 3 days to come up with an up-to-date key, which causes other problems. I have a test NT server here which blue screened after one trial key expired, and after two re-installs of NT and Oracle 8.1.6., I keep getting blue screens (6 in two days). I will have to restore the server using our enterprise backup system and pray that the server won't blue screen on me right after the restore finishes. What a hassle.

I remember when software companies tried to put keys on their software in the eighties, and a company (called copywrite I think) kept coming out with hacks to overcome these keys, because they were preventing people from making backup copies of their diskettes.

I know they don't want us to use unlicensed software, but this is going too far, they are discouraging people from evaluating their software. It has to hurt sales. Why not put 2-month keys on their trial software? No one would use a product like this for just 2 months, it seems to me. Heck it would take at least a month just to configure everything, iron out all the bugs, and make sure the product "fits" the environment.

[end rant]

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

        Author: Smith, Ron L.
          INET: rlsmith_at_kmg.com

        San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists
Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca