Re: AW: Slow performance of code using dblinks ver 8.1.6.2

From: Mohammad Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:16:34 -0800

Thanks for your only response from the list. Same code is running in 15 minutes using db_links between 7.3.4.5 databases but very very slow when running from 8.1.6.2 to 7.3.4.5 database. This is basicaly an Ananymouse PL/SQL block which select rows from 7.3.4.5 database and insert into a table 8.1.6.2 database...If you or any list guru has any idea ,please help/comment.
Have a nice weekend...
Regards
Rafiq

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:31:46 -0800

Hi!

Got similar problems concerning database links, mainly slow performance, about 10% of the throughput compared to same processing without db_links.
There seems to be no - or at least only poor - useful documentation for database links and/or
about tuning their performance.

Would be a nice new thread for ORACLE-L : "Database Links: Tuning / Problems / Tips & Traps ..."

The only thing that helped ( in our case) , was to rewrite the code, in order to "partition"
the old big program ( which did all ) into a bunch of small programs ( each doing now only a few things).
Also consider rewriting your programs in such a way, that you can have multiple
instances of them running simultaneously. You know, "divide et impera".

But I'm sure, there must be a secret switch somewhere deep in Oracle's guts, Iabelled "Boost DB_LINK Performance". I just haven't found it yet ;-)

A.H.

Author: Haunschmidt Andreas VASL/FAS
   INET: Andreas.Haunschmidt_at_voest.co.at

Author: Mohammad Rafiq
  INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com