RE: More slower CPUs vs. fewer faster CPUs

From: Weaver, Walt <wweaver_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:23:13 -0800

Say, would anyone have any knowledge on how to benchmark this sort of thing?

I'll be receiving, as part of a hardware evaluation, a VA Linux 4450 and a Sun E450 to see how they compare as a backend database server for our web applications. It would be fun to test some different cpu configurations. Each machine will come with 4 cpu's.

If anyone has any good benchmarking and testing procedures, would you be willing to share'em?

On a semi-connected thread, does anyone know of a good way to compare x86 processors with RISC processors? From what I've heard/read, x86 processors are faster at lower loads but don't scale nearly as well as RISC.

I get to spend the next month just playing with free hardware. Hoo Hah!

Thanks,
--Walt Weaver

  Bozeman, Montana, USA

        Author: Boivin, Patrice J
          INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

        San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Author: Weaver, Walt
  INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Feb 23 2001 - 09:23:13 CST