RE: 24*7 Operation using Compaq TRU64

From: Hand, Michael T <>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:20:51 -0800

We've been using Compaq/Digital hardware at my current job for 6+ years. Our current setup is dual alpha 8400's (1 primary, 1 backup/reporting) with 8 EV6/660 CPUs & 12G Memory. OS is 40F. Storage is Compaq Storageworks with HSZ & HSG70 controllers, disks are mirrored 5 ways using AFS & HW mirroring. The next tier is 5 apps servers (3 4100's, 3 ES40's).

This environment supports a 500Gb SAP database on V8.0.6. I've been quite satisfied with performance & reliablility as we are daily breaking disk mirrors off of the primary and mounting them on the backup server for tape backups and to create a reporting database instance.

The only major downtime we experienced in 2000 was part of a disk upgrade. It seems the cable connecting the new disk cabinet was the wrong part number and was too long. This resulted intermitant I/O errors which took a couple of days to track down.

Mike Hand
Polaroid Corp

Author: Hand, Michael T

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 22 2001 - 12:20:51 CST

Original text of this message