(Fwd 1of2) RE: Java

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:13:18 -0800

First there were VBXs ... never worked
Then there were OCXs ... never worked
Now there are Java Beans ...

As with VBXs and OCXs, Forms now supports Java Beans... At least they work according to marketing.
You can probably count on them working just fine for trivial crap that you don't really need anyway.
They may also work for real things. But since I already wasted days of time figuring out that VBXs and OCXs only worked for trivial stuff, but died for anything really usefull like a grid control, I am not willing to waste my time trying to find out. If you do actually try to make this feature work for something other than a sales demo and actually get it to work, congratulations.

I am sure we would all love to here your experiences, positive or negative. But I have too many scars to be very optimistic.

If you only want to have a pl/sql routine call a Java routine, that works fine -- in the server anyway.

Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.