RE: Connection Manager

From: John Hallas <john.hallas_at_mail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:05:19 -0800

CMAN provides connection concentration which runs on a middle tier. This channels a number of clients via a single connection to a server. It is also termed as multiplexing.It works in conjunction with MTS MTS allows multiple clients to use dispatcher processes on the server thereby reducing the number of individual o/s processes on the server. A new feature of MTS is called connection pooling. This further reduces the number of physical resources required on the server end by allowing connections to be made to the dispatcher when a session becomes idle rather than when it is disconnected. Therefore queueing time is either reduced or removed depending on the workload of each session.

Connection concentration and connection pooling are mutually exclusive. Use pooling to share connections at the database server or use concentration to share connections at the middle tier.

It has been useful writing this note as I am taking my Network OCP exam in 4 hours time - I have now realised how little I know.

Regards

John

Author: Paul Baumgartel
  INET: PaulB_at_instipro.com