Re: this drove me crazy!!!

From: Saurabh Sharma <saurabhs_at_fcsltd.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 05:02:51 -0800

but this function is created with compilation errors.. ----- Original Message -----
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 1:15 AM

> I can do it.
> SQL> create or replace function dumb
> 2 return number is
> 3 pragma autonomous_transaction;
> 4 begin
> 5 insert into emp (empno) values (10);
> 6 commit;
> 7 return 0;
> 8 end;
> 9 /
>
> Function created.
>
> Try a few of these:
>
> SQL> select empno
> 2 from emp
> 3 where dumb=0 and
> 4 empno < 20;
>

> "Boivin, Patrice J" <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca> on 02/12/2001 08:55:37 AM
>
> Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
>
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> cc: (bcc: Chaim Katz/Completions/Bombardier)

I am wondering why your customer would want to select where an insert is taking place. It doesn't make much sense.

Are you sure the customer didn't mean: "I can put a SELECT statements inside the WHERE clause of an INSERT statement"?

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

     Author: Abdul Aleem
       INET: abchaudhary-ho_at_beaconhouse.edu.pk

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Author: Saurabh Sharma
  INET: saurabhs_at_fcsltd.com