OT RayGun- Additional perspective

From: Dan Mills <mills.dan_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:39:42 -0800

Not intended to prolong such a controversial thread, merely to add additional perspective to a viewpoint expressed by another former member of our armed services. We all have our touchy issues so please forgive my disgression from this list's focus.

I was a private in the 82nd Airborne Division, (a paratrooper in the trenches, not in the rear with the gear) when I attended Ronald Reagan's second presidential inauguration in 1985. With wife and child at the time, I lived as this military's lowest paid soldier. I also had a close family memeber in the Army in East Berlin when the wall came down.

Our country, (native americans, immigrants, and future citizens, ALL who live here), owes its wealth and status to the generation of Americans who fought and died in WWII. Period.

The liberals and conservatives who have followed have merely towed the line to 1) win and end (RayGun) the cold war, and 2) facilitate the only growth industry in a post-industrialized world. Baby boomers give themselves far too much credit for the real and hard sacrifices of their fathers and mothers. Reagan not only towed the line but pushed the envelope with PR savvy and a happy, confident face, and convinced the world that we really were the best alternative to the STERN faced, oppresive, Soviet block. Forgive me if I offend Eastern Europeans here but I think you'd have to admit, Russia did not appear to the world as happy campers. Whatever money and sacrifice it took to nail that coffin shut, once and for all, has since been repaid to US(A) all, a million times over.

Another military perspective,
dgm

PS Dick, Nothing personal, but you guys put us out over the trees far too often ;-)

> OHHH, bad subject matter for mail lists. Politics & Religion should
remain
> prohibited subjects, just because the "FLAME:ON, HIGH" gets set so often.
BUT,
> Was Clinton such a bad president? Well I guess we'll have to leave that
> history, cause that's what it is now like it or not. Will George Bush JR
be a
> good or bad president, that's to be seen. Talk is cheap, action is more
> expensive & can have some very long term consequences. My only dislike of
> George Bush the senior was that he flubbed the gulf situation. We should
have
> gone on to clobber Sadam while we had the chance & eliminated the mess
over
> there that is now the case. My vote for the worst president remains
RayGun.
> Here was a person who spoke the speak and took the action to
overwhelmingly
> increase the military's spending, but where did it all go? Not to the
folks in
> the trenches that's for sure. We had the worst military pay increases
ever.
> Carter was much more generous. And to add insult to injury the flow of
spare
> parts for existing stuff, fuel, and ammo just about stopped all together.
At
> the same time his "friends" in CA were accumulating billions of $$$ on
StarWars

Author: Dan Mills
  INET: mills.dan_at_home.com