Veritas NetBackup on Win2k Error 25

From: Jack C. Applewhite <japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:04:18 -0800

Hi,

If you have experience with using this backup solution with RMan and Oracle 8.1.6 on Windows200, maybe you can help. If not delete me.

We've got an Oracle8i EE database (15GB full export, 100+GB Level 0 backup) on one Win2k server and Veritas NetBackup v3.4GA on another Win2k server, with a gigabit connection between the two. We use the Veritas-supplied RMan scripts to do Level 0 and Level 1 RMan backups to tape. It's intermittantly successful, but often fails at random times during the backup with the Veritas error "unable to connect on socket(25)".

Sometimes the Level 0 backup will proceed for over 10 hours, then fail right near the end. The much smaller Level 1 backup may fail within 10 minutes of starting. There seems to be no pattern here of time, system load, or size of backup pieces (which are usually successful, even when 7GB).

Veritas support is baffled, as are we. BTW, the trace files in UDUMP say that more info. should be in the sbtio.log file, but it is always empty. How do we turn on logging to it?

Anybody experienced this and found a solution?

Thanks.

Jack

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator/Developer
OCP Oracle8 DBA
iNetProfit, Inc.
Austin, Texas
www.iNetProfit.com
japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com

Author: Jack C. Applewhite
  INET: japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 14 2001 - 12:04:18 CST