Re:off topic : gathering information

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:57:45 -0800

Bjorn,

    We've spent the last two years trying just about every tool we could get our hands on. Some are very expensive & some pretty darn cheap. But what I noticed is that some of the expensive ones provide more glitz (namely a very fancy gui) while the cheaper ones are missing in functionality. In the end we settled on OEM and Mamba. OEM is expensive, about mid range, has good GUI's and is very functional. Mamba was very cheap (free), but did provide the read only web based functionality we wanted.

    If you want a successful search, first thing is to set down and list out exactly what you need and what you'd like. Then prioritize these and match then against the features of any tool you look at. The one that matches the most points in order wins.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Bjorn Naessens" <bnaessens_at_roularta.be>
Date:       2/13/2001 2:10 AM

hello fellow dba's

we are currently running a project for updating our database management tools. We want a pro-active and easy-to-use graphical tool with a lot of possibilities ( db difference, performance manager, top sessions, lock managers, ... ).

So i was wandering what all of you guys were using so I can have an idea about what's on the market.

thx in advance

bjorn naessens
junior system engineer + dba
Roularta IT Solutions

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>hello fellow dba's </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>we are currently running a project for updating our

database management tools. We want a pro-active and easy-to-use graphical tool with a lot of possibilities ( db difference, performance manager, top sessions,

lock managers, ... ). </FONT></DIV>

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>So i was wandering what all of you guys were using
so I can have an idea about what's on the market.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>thx in advance</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>bjorn naessens</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>junior system engineer + dba </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Roularta IT Solutions</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com