Opinions on OLTP

From: <Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 06:42:14 -0800

I am starting a Data Warehouse project, possibly using Oracle Warehouse Builder. One of the databases that I must bring together comes from IBM DB2 database. We have reverse engineered a piece of their database so that we can produce an ER diagram so that we can start understanding their data. A hindrance to us is that they do not use any constraints or referential integrity, but place all of their checks into their COBOL code. They tell me this is because they are an online transaction processing system, and that's how things are handled in that environment. I always thought that OLTP systems were airlines and such, but they, at best, have 20 data entry people. Is any database within DB2 under CICS considered OLTP, perhaps? What thresholds would you use to determine what is an OLTP system? Has anyone ever heard about putting all of the RI into code as opposed to allowing the database to do its job? It seems silly to me to put all of your checks into code because changes and maintenance would just kill you, not to mention consistency, or lack thereof.

Any insights into this would be appreciated.

Sherrie Kubis
Southwest Florida Water Management District 2379 Broad Street
Brooksville, FL 34604
352.796.7211 Ext 4033
Fax: 352-754-6776
sherrie.kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us

  INET: Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Feb 13 2001 - 08:42:14 CST