Re: Applying patches - minimizing database down time

From: Dan Mills <mills.dan_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 18:00:30 -0800

Steve,

Seems like a fast, secure procedure. One question though,

Why would you issue the 'shutdown abort' in step 5 ? You never quite know how long instance recovery will take.

Someone mentioned replication. It seems that a standby db might be worth taking a look at. A lot of work building, cutting over, and rebuilding, but may result in minimum downtime.

dgm

> Do you have a test instance to apply the patches to? Check the release
> notes, and see if any DDL is included in the patch. If none of the
database
> objects change, then you do not need to run the rdbms scripts. Also, I
have
> heard that you cannot copy oracle homes any more with the new "Universal"
> installer. You have to reinstall the base software to the new directory.
> It keeps track of the directory it is installed in and will not run out of
> new directory.

Let's

Author: Dan Mills
  INET: mills.dan_at_home.com