Re: Vendor Package Implementation Strategy

From: <Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 12:01:01 -0800

Lisa,

We have just been upgrading the majority of our applications that run on Oracle from 7.3.4 to 8.1.5. Some of the apps do not run on 8.1.5 or are not certified.

Our solution has been to leave some apps where they are on 7.3.4, have some at 8.0.4 and some at 8.1.5. In other words, we have multiple Oracle homes and three different versions of Oracle on most of our Unix boxes.

This is not the ideal solution but we didn't have many attractive options.

Cherie Machler
Gelco Information Network

"Yttri, Lisa" <lisa.yttri_at_cnh.com> on 02/07/2001 09:07:08 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Cherie Machler/GELCO)

Hi everyone -

I posted this some time ago and didn't really get much response, so I'm trying again. For those of you that are implementing multiple application packages, how to you determine how many Oracle instances and servers to use? For example - do you build one instance per application package and, if so, on one server or separate? Is this possibly a use of NT vs. Oracle (if you only have 1 small application per instance, you wouldn't necessarily need the machine power)?

We implemented a few different vendor packages onto one Unix server. We are now looking to upgrade oracle (and Solaris) and are having problems finding a common version that all packages can run on. I have been asked to propose a different strategy going forward, so that we have more flexibility for upgrades, etc. I would like to hear how others have implemented and supported the vendor-provided package scenario.

Thanks in advance -
Lisa Received on Wed Feb 07 2001 - 14:01:01 CST