RE: RMAN

From: Yttri, Lisa <lisa.yttri_at_cnh.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 10:26:19 -0800

That's my dilemma - I would have to install both ...... but I have not heard anything good about version 8.1.5.  I don't want to install it and have to deal with all kinds of issues.

Does anyone know - is RMAN always going to be this way (that you need a catalog for each specific version of the software you are running?).  Are there also issues with restoring  -   ie. if I backup an 8.1.5 database, can RMAN restore that into a different version database?

We're trying to determine if this product is worth it, or if we should work on a different backup/recovery strategy.  For now we're doing periodic cold backups and nightly hot backups, with manual management of the output.   That works OK, but we'd like to have a more automated approach.  I'd appreciate hearing about any ideas/strategies that you are using.

Thanks for your help -
Lisa
 ----------

From: Kevin Kostyszyn
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: RE: RMAN
Date: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 4:03PM

I don't know if this is a workaround, but couldn't you use the rman for 815 seperately.  Also, someone on this list said that 815 is not very good.  Just thinkin outloud again.

From: Vadim Gorbounov
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: RE: RMAN
Date: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 3:01PM

        Hi, William,

        I used to have may rman backups since 8.0.5, and I could say, 8.1.6 makes a BIG difference. It is much more stable and worth to go, especially if you have big/frequantly updated database. Even 8.1.5 is well behind 8.1.6. My preference is to have rman backup information in catalog rather than controlfile. Anytime you can export it and restore to any database, even on different platform. Works fine. My current configuration is 8.1.6 on Solaris + NetBackup.

        Vadim Gorbounov
        Oracle DBA

Author: Carle, William T (Bill), NLCIO
  INET: wcarle_at_att.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Vadim Gorbounov
  INET: vgorbounov_at_simplyengineering.com
Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 07 2001 - 12:26:19 CST