Re: Opinion on duplicate values

From: <MTPConsulting_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 18:59:00 -0800

I'd do it based on which is more likely to succeed. That will give you the best performance. Also, I think there's some new DML in Oracle9i that combines insert/update into one statement.

Marc Perkowitz
MTP Systems Consulting

In a message dated 2/6/2001 3:43:09 PM Central Standard Time, kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com writes:

<< There is a coder here who has a lot of code that goes like this:  PROCEDURE fsf IS

 It is quite a legitimate thing that there could be duplicates because  of the fact that data is being read out of files, etc. I do not know if  its the norm or the unusual.

 If I was coding it and I new there was a possibility of duplicates and  I either did not want to insert it or wanted to update the record instead  I would check the database first via a SELECT and then base my  code on what got returned.

 Is one really any better then the other. I am kind of against letting  ORA errors being raised on purpose. Its one thing if something goes  wrong but this is expected. Which would be harder on the database?  They both have to get the data from disk (or memory as the case may be).

 Kimberly Smith
 EDS
 Fujitsu/GMD
 21015 SE Stark St