RE: (Win2K vs NT4) / RE: OT RE: Async I/O on Windows

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:31:41 -0800

No
problem..

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Mohan, RossSent:   Tuesday, February 06, 2001 03:51To: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RE: (Win2K vs NT4) / RE: OT RE: Async I/O on   Windows
  Thanks for the extended mail on your direct experience.

  Much better than CNET, I guess we can all agree?   -----Original Message----- From: Mark   Leith [<A
  href="mailto:mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk">mailto:mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk]   Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 8:46 AM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: RE: (Win2K vs NT4) / RE: OT RE: Async I/O on Windows

  Ep,
  I have 8i running concurrently on a Win2k system with SS7, and   have to say that it still runs like a dream. Like I   mentioned earlier Oracle is still my favourite   databeast, but there are a few things that still cough and <FONT   size=2>splutter - like OEM for example. The Java side of things can be a   little painful, but as I understand it is mostly on   all platforms, as Oracle still haven't got it just   right - though 9i again is "supposed" to be a great <FONT   size=2>improvement on how the JVM is managed.   Win2K has better service management - unless I didn't notice   under NT - where if a service fails, you can first try   and restart the service, if that fails, you can run a   file - whatever it may be - and if THAT fails you can <FONT   size=2>reboot the machine automatically, and cross your fingers that the   service starts properly with spewing nasty error   messages at you.
  I have been using Win2k for around 4 months now and have NEVER   seen a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), I reboot quite   often - granted - but that is only because LookOut   keep trying to dial my mail server, gets it knickers in a <FONT   size=2>twist, hangs, gives me a mail delivery error, trys again, then comes   back telling me the phone entry it already being   dialed!! So because I can't live without my Lyris   "Family" I have to reboot the bloody thing. I have only <FONT   size=2>once had to reboot when installing new software, and that was because   the dongle wasn't recognized properly.   All in all Win2K is far and above NT 4 in my view. File   management is handled a lot better, you can have   online network drives, even if the network machine is   down.. IIS is OK but I can't see a business need for it <FONT   size=2>though..
  Oh, and they have even added the lovely little desktops themes   available with Windows 98, but not NT.. Now, I have to   say, this little feature is the one that sold it for   me :)
  Give it a try Eric, if you are used to NT, you may be   pleasantly suprised..
  Regards
  Mark
  P.S Win2K was Built on NT Technology according to the new   splash screen.. It can only improve right? Right?   Micrslop? hardy har har har...
  -----Original Message----- <FONT
  size=2>Pierce Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001   07:06 To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

  Ross & Mark, There are no major
  performance concerns here (and we get Oracle "free"   {system wide educational site license} - unlike   MS/SQL), so what I want to know is: does Oracle8 <FONT   size=2>generally work well on Windows 2000 server (compared to   running it on NT4)? We will be running on this   hardware: IBM Netfinity5100 w/ RAID (dedicated Oracle   server, w/ web server on same box, if   possible).
  My assumption is that Win2k/Oracle8 is "ok". Are there   any horror stories out there about running Oracle8 on   Win2K where running on NT4 would have been   better?
  thanks! ep
  On 5 Feb 2001, at 9:25, Mark Leith wrote:   Date sent:
          Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:25:25
  -0800 <FONT
  size=2>To:
          Multiple recipients of list
  ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> RE: Async I/O on WindowsWOOOOHOOOOOOO a SQLServer vs.
  Oracle debate again!!