Re: Reporting database

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 07:49:05 -0800

Tom,
One of the big advantages of a "standby" database is that it can be opened in the "read only" mode just for the purpose of a report type database. Be sure to check all of your options before you make the final decision. The report database and the OLTP database could/should have different INIT.ORA parameters to have the database operate at peak effeciency. ROR mª¿ªm

>>> Thomas.Terrian_at_standardregister.com 02/06/01 07:25AM >>>
How are you all creating reporting databases? We currently have an OLTP database and we wish to create a reporting database from it. As I see it, we have the following options:

  1. Create the reporting database as a Standby database. I don't think that this will work since the database must be up and not in standby mode.
  2. Use Oracle replication. I have heard it is cumbersome and has trouble keeping up with lots of transactions.
  3. Snapshots/materialized views.
  4. Beef up our current machine so that it can handle OLTP transactions and reports.
  5. Since we are using a BMC disk array, we could break the mirror periodically and mount the disks on a new machine.
  6. Other 3rd party replication products.
  7. We could probably use some type of import/exports.

How are the rest of you doing it? Are there any other options that I forgot?

Thanks,
Tom

Author: Terrian, Thomas
  INET: Thomas.Terrian_at_standardregister.com

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org