Re: (Win2K vs NT4) / RE: OT RE: Async I/O on Windows

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:32:10 -0800

Bill,

Thanks for the info, sounds vaguely familiar. (see below for the basically worthless METLink product certification info.)

guess it is "ayeTAR" time.

I'm used to Oracle7.3 command line DBA environment. Is there anything in OEM that I "must have" to run the Oracle8.1.7/Win2k?

regards,
ep

On 5 Feb 2001, at 13:49, Bill Pribyl wrote:

Date sent:              Mon, 05 Feb 2001 13:49:36 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

> Well, I was surprised to install 8.1.7 on Windows 2000 and discover that none of the
> Oracle Enterprise Manager features work. They install, but they don't run--it just
> hangs up an empty window on the screen.
>
> The fact that OEM doesn't work is documented in the readme, but I've not seen a patch
> for it yet.

---begin METALink excerpt---

Certify - Platform Selection: Oracle DBA Management Pack

 General Notes For Oracle DBA Management Pack:

     PLEASE READ:The Certify Administrators have recently uploaded partial OEM certification

     information for many platforms. All certification information must be reviewed by development

     before it's released to our customers. Until this message has been removed, any OEM certification

     information contained within Certify is not guaranteed to be certified by development until we

     receive confirmation from them that the certification information is 100% accurate. Once the

     confirmation has been received, this note will be removed and you are free to view the OEM

     certifications with confidence that the content is accurate.
     Projected completion: CYQ101

     Product Information:
         Oracle Database Administrators (DBAs) are commonly required to perform tasks
such as
         creating users, performing backups, adding tablespaces or datafiles, managing
database
         objects, and changing instance parameters. Oracle Enterprise Manager is
bundled with the
         DBA Management Pack, a set of tools that help automate and simplify the daily
tasks of a DBA
         at no additional cost to customers.
         DBA Management Pack key features include:
             Centralized database administration tools for managing both local and
remote Oracle
             databases.
             Tools can be run stand-alone or connected through an Oracle Management
Server.
             Simplify DBA tasks by providing an intuitive graphical interface.
             Perform tasks without manually entering the SQL, PL/SQL, or RMAN syntax.
             Aid workflow and learning new database features using wizards, such as
Oracle8i
             Resource Management.
             Manage Oracle database instances and sessions (Instance Management).
             Manage schema objects, such as indexes, tables, partitions, views, and
stored procedures
             (Schema Management).
             Manage database users and their corresponding privileges, profiles, and
roles (Security
             Management).
             Manage physical and logical space requirements for the database, such as
control files,
             tablespaces, and redo logs (Storage Management).
             Move data in and out of databases using data management wizards (uses
Oracle Export,
             Import, and SQL*Loader).
             Print and save summary information about the database, such as all
database users.
             Create and schedule backup jobs using backup management wizards (uses
Oracle8i
             Recovery Manager (RMAN)).
             View the dependencies for objects in the database.
             View and edit data accessible by tables, views, and synonyms.
             Drop table columns quickly and easily in Oracle8i databases.
             Analyze database objects using wizards, such as compute statistics and
validate indexes.

 Platform Selection:

   Copyright (c) 1995,2000 Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Legal Notices and Terms of Use.

---end excerpt---

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu