RE: (Win2K vs NT4) / RE: OT RE: Async I/O on Windows

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:01:52 -0800

Ever since I got a cool little animated cartoon icon of Capt. Haddock (in the Tintin books from Belgium) with smoke coming out his pipe to replace my windows "houglass", i *LOVE* logging onto METALINK and waiting!!!

( http://www.tintin.be
- http://www.tintin.be/Telecharger/download_gb.htm )

AIX is not an option. We have a choice of NT4 or Win2k as the LAN servers that our central campus NetworkGods/SAs will "support" for departmental database projects.   Just asking them to do network support for a few special case Win2k pro desktops elicited the same horrified looks that would greet a proctologist driving around in a rotorooter truck, so asking for AIX probably isn't too good an idea. :)

Anyway, here is the ink from METALink:

Certify -
Product Version and Other Selections: Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition On Microsoft Windows 2000

 Critical Notes For Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition

 General Notes For Oracle Server -
Enterprise Edition On Microsoft Windows 2000:

     Shipping Information:

Starting with release 8.1.6 (Oracle8i Release 2), software for Windows NT and Windows 2000 ships together as one. It's called Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 2 for Windows NT/2000.

     Windows 2000 Editions (production):

Microsoft has various editions/versions of Windows 2000. They are:

             Professional
             Server
             Advanced Server
             Datacenter Server
             Terminal Services
             Multi-Language

Oracle RDBMS Server products are supported on all available Windows 2000 editions.

Release Information:

There are no plans to support Oracle 7.3.4 or 8.0.x releases on Windows 2000.

Patch Set Information:

Patch set 8.1.6.1.0 has been withdrawn on Windows. Replacement patch: 8.1.6.1.1.

 Additional Search Criteria (Optional):

  Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition Version(s)

    8.1.7 (8i)
    8.1.6 (8i)
    8.1.5 (8i)

Certified combinations only
                               YES

Copyright (c) 1995,2000 Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Legal Notices and Terms of Use.

Certify -
Additional Info Oracle Server -
Enterprise Edition ver: 8.1.7 (8i) On Microsoft Windows 2000

 Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Version:2000  Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition Version: 8.1.7 (8i)  N/A Version: N/A

 Product Version Note:
 None available for this product.

 Certification Note:

 Existing patch sets:

      8.1.7.1 planned

Copyright (c) 1995,2000 Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Legal Notices and Terms of Use.

On 5 Feb 2001, at 12:45, Mohan, Ross wrote:

Date sent:              Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:45:32 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu