Linux as a production machine

From: Dave Morgan <dmorgan_at_bartertrust.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 11:59:34 -0800

Hi Dick,

        A couple of campanies I consult for are using
        Linux and Oracle (8.0.5, 8.1.6) as production
        databases. Neither is really high transaction volume
        but one is holding about 1.5 GB of data.

        One install occured because Oracle on NT was choking
        the box and the company did not want to buy new
        hardware. I find you usually get a 20 -30% performance
        boost with Oracle on Linux vs NT for the same hardware.

        The 8.0.5 Linux release has some problems so I would
        recommend the 8.1.6 release which is of the same quality
        as all other UNIX Oracle releases (Notice I didn't comment
        on the quality, just the similarity :)

        Both machines are in archive log mode and show typical
        unix uptimes (Months).

WARNING:
        My original kernel is  Slackware 1.2.13 (I think) and
        I have maintained my own kernel and system for the past
        5-6 years (Currently 2.2.14).  This gives me an extremely
        reliable (but custom) system. My builds are of better
        quality than any commercial linux packages I have tested.

        I would recommend Caldera over Redhat based on my tests and
        what I have  heard from other admins. The feeling
        seems to be Redhat is going after the consumer market
        while Caldera is concentrating on the server market.

        In summary, Linux, once properly configured is quite
        suitable as a production Oracle platform.
HTH
Dave

--

Dave Morgan
Senior Database Administrator

Author: Dave Morgan
  INET: dmorgan_at_bartertrust.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Feb 05 2001 - 13:59:34 CST