Re:Oracle Vs Tera Data

From: bill thater <thaterw_at_telergy.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:22:48 -0800

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001,dgoulet_at_vicr.com scribbled on the wall in glitter crayon:

-> There are two basic problems with data warehouses that I've seen & it should
->be noted that I'm in the middle of specing a re-wtite of ours. 1) people create
->then in a normalized manner, not in the idea of a series of stars. COnsequently
->you end up with too much data in a single table making that table a real bear to
->manage. 2) end users have this ungodly desire for speed. My GOD, if your
->searching through 2 or 3 billion rows of data of course it's going to take a
->while.

i'm currently fighting with damagement over the same issues. "no datawrehousing is not the same as creating a production database." "no i can't get the warehouse to run as fast as the production database and do it right."

repeat the above two statments several times a day.;-)

--
Bill Thater             Certified ORACLE DBA
Telergy, Inc.            thaterw_at_telergy.net

Author: bill thater
  INET: thaterw_at_telergy.net