Oracle Vs Tera Data

From: Surjit Sharma <surjit_at_au1.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 16:39:24 -0800

All

I wonder if anyone out there has faced the same dilemma as I am facing currently. Our database is likely to grow to a couple of Tera bytes. The existing hardware is Sun E6500 (8 Gig RAM and 10 CPUs) running SunOs 2.6 and Oracle 8.1.5. There is suspicion amongst certain hard core Tera Data fans that Oracle can't do the following:

   Start schema in Oracle is not suitable for datawarehouses.    Oracle is not scalable to deal with Tera bytes databases.    Oracle partitioning is not good enough to do the job.

I feel that Oracle has been working fine on a Sun box with about 200-300 Gig of data.
What is the price/performance of say a Sun Box vs Tera Data. I am sure there is a huge difference.

I appreciate your valuable thoughts.

Regards

Surjit

Author: Surjit Sharma
  INET: surjit_at_au1.ibm.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sun Feb 04 2001 - 18:39:24 CST