Re: OT ? for people who know other databases besides Oracle

From: Michael Sun <mikeny31_at_speakeasy.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 20:27:49 -0800

Linda,

I'd like take a stab at your problem.

Disclaimer first, I started out as an Oracle DBA/Developer years ago, now I work on front end OO development (Java) as well. Yes, I went through the somewhat painful experience to change my mindset from a relational world to an object one, and now I am at peace with both.

As you have already stated, one of the design goals is to be able to port your application to other RDBMS in the future, it appears to me that the obvious choice to put as little business/application logic into the database as possible. In stead, you should rely on a much more portable language, like Java, to implement those logics. Does that make sense?

If so, triggers are out, stored procesdures are definitely out (unless you want to keep two copies, one in PL/SQL, the other in Transact SQL). I will just rely on application layer pass in in-line SQL (ANSI standard) to achieve the maximum portability.

Now that portability has been achieved, you may ask about performance. We may have to open another thread just to deal with this issue alone.

In any case, I am proud of being a Java developer that knows about db schema and SQL tuning. So, guys, no flames, plz.

Michael

If you find where it can get set either in init.ora or in another session (i.e. I'd like to set it against a running Java connection), please let me know!

Thanks!

Linda

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=
  INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com