Re: OT- Oracle Training

From: Dan Mills <mills.dan_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 17:55:26 -0800

Eric et al,

I appreciate the responses, both public and private, and have gained a better understanding of the situation as a result.

First, let me say that I do not determine or influence the course of action of my employer. Either the work arounds or work withins that have been identified thus far are being weighed and measured by the individuals who have the dog in the fight. I don't have a clue when it comes to business law. I am just a curious dba.

Having said that it would seem to me that the intellectual rights (reverse engineering, proprietary secrets, etc) arguments may not hold true in this case and at this point in time.

Has everyone who has written an oracle technologies book in the last ten years been published through Oracle Press? Do they pay license fees to Oracle for the proprietary technologies detailed within? And who has benefited the most from the volumes of detailed publications from third parties and the resulting phenomenal increase in market share resulting from the self-trained developers and dbas who bought these books, sought out third-party training, and based their careers on Oracle software?

 After having spent many hours in book store, perusing everything Oracle, and having taught and/or studied my employers' course materials, I can say that there is nothing in them that is not readily available in a combination of all the third parties' Oracle books. Just common knowledge and personal experience.

thanks again and for those who don't have to work

Have a great weekend,

For those that do...Hopefully you'll get Monday off like me ;)

dgm

ps. I don't have the career history to base this comment on, but from what I understand Oracle had the better marketing team. Maybe sometimes the end does justify the means. Can't argue with success. And several other cliches.

> Dan,
>
> Thanks, that was very interesting. Based on your latest comments, my
> preliminary suspicions about Oracle acting like ruthless/greedy
> b*st*rds would seem to be confirmed. :) Assuming the above is true, I
> would encourage you to continue to document and publicise this in the
> user community so that pressure will be brought on Oracle to act in a
> more altruistic, and/or socially responsible manner in the future.
>
> Assuming that such a course of actions fails, again, the question is,
> for the good of the community, will the dba corp., or some of its
> members, try to "work around" the bizarre antics and obstacles that
> Oracle seems to be putting up?
>
> regards,
> ep
>
> On 2 Feb 2001, at 3:55, Dan Mills wrote:
>
> Date sent: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 03:55:48 -0800
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> From: "Dan Mills" <mills.dan_at_home.com>
> Subject: Re: OT- Oracle Training
>
> > Eric,
> >
> > Thank you for the feedback. And I would like to address your points
further
> > for the benefit of all.
> >
> > 1. My employer is contracted to teach for the local University and will
do
> > so till summer. They also have an Oracle license which they are allowed
> > continue their training under, depending on whose lawyer you speak to I
> > guess. One point was that this is a new clause in Oracle licenses which
is
> > trying to be enforced retroactively in an attempt to halt future Oracle
> > classes under the current license. They can also contiue to contract
with
> > companies and train under each companies' license. The school of course
is
> > primarily interested in the discounted Oracle licenses.
> >
> > 2. The relationship has definitely been win-win from all perspectives
the
> > way I see it. The oracle market in this are has benefited by having more
and
> > better trained developers and dbas to fill the ever growing needs of the
> > companies here. The only loser here is Microsoft/sqlserver, as I have
seen
> > many make the jump to the Oracle side. And my employers are astute
> > capitalists, always making hay while the sun is shining. No losers here.
> >
> > 3. A major reason this program has been successful is because Oracle's
> > training is prohibitively expensive for small companies and individuals
> > moving into the Oracle world. When my employer started training the
ratio of
> > Microsoft developers to Oracle developers was in the neighborhood of
10:1.
> > Now I hear its down to 3:1. I have personally witnessed developers and
dbas
> > make this major career move based on our training and their own dollars.
And
> > they would not have been able to afford the time off or dollars it would
> > have taken through Oracle Education.
> >
> > 4. I'm not certain that with Oracle's core database and tools software
> > Division, Oracle Applications, and Oracle Consulting, that Oracle
University
> > is the largest piece of their pie. If you know the numbers, please let
me
> > know, but I would guess that it is near last.
> >
> > I am sure that their are other small companies in the same boat around
the
> > world and I guess to me the basic issue here is whether there is a place
for
> > Third Party training or does Oracle University monopolize the training
> > market.
> >
> > Appreciate any and all feedback.
> >
> > Time for work,
> > Dan Mills
> > OCP DBA Consultant and Instructor

Database
> [...]
> > the
> > >
> > > Sounds good, but again, ruthless/greedy Oracle Corp is mainly
> > > interested in getting their slice of the $$$ "in question", and
> > > protecting their self-interests. It is entirely possible that from
> > > Oracle Corp's viewpoint, the dba corporation is trying to pull a
> > > "fast one", and build their reputation/profitability/etc by taking
> > > advantage of the "protective shell" that Oracle's instructional
> > > discount provides via the continuing education institution.
> > >
> > > Something think that may be important that you left out: what is the
> > > extent of the influence of your community's continuing education
> > > Oracle training program, and how does that interplay with the Oracle
> > > market in that same area? Without knowing the answer, it may be
> > > difficult to determine how Oracle corp. might, or might not, see its
> > > interests being hurt by the growth of the dba corp.'s role in the
> > > continuing education Oracle training program there.

> > third
> > with
> > an
> > training.
> > >
> > > Assuming that the Oracle people that decided to do this used some
> > > sort of "logic" (regardless of how pathological any such logic might
> > > seem to others), they may indeed have decided that they can make more
> > > $$$$ (especially short term profit) by sucking the life out of the
> > > carefully cultivated ~aura of awareness~ about Oracle training that
> > > the dba corp. has worked to build in your community. It is probably
> > > an injustice that this is happening, but *dude*, this is the real
> > > world of corporate capitalism, and if the dba corp. isn't
> > > sophisticated enough to understand how to anticipate exposure to such
> > > liabilites in their business model, "natural selection" (*survival of
> > > the fitest* and other unpleasantries of the unbenevolent, cold, cruel
> > > business world) will almost certainly be visited upon them sooner or
> > > later. live and learn.
> > >
> > > If the continuing education institution is not willing/able to fight
> > > Oracle Corp on principle, then I can't see how the dba corp. would be
> > > able to do much about things either. however, the dba corp. can
> > > always try to put pressure on Oracle corp. either directly, or
> > > indirectly - via IOUG (and/or other user groups). You must know that
> > > "conventional wisdom" is that Oracle's profits are highly dependent
> > > on training activities, no? Is the dba corp tilting against a
> > > windmill?
> > >
> > > I would be very interested to hear if Oracle corp. is even willing to
> > > seriously listen to the "logic" of the dba corp., much less act on
> > > the basis of any sort of real altruistic concern for the collective
> > > interests of your community's educational institutions.
> > >
> > > Note (IRONY WARNING): did you see the PR cr*p the Oracle/IOUG put out
> > > (during the election) about Larry E.'s big philantropic moves to
> > > support education? Amazingly enough, the PR was originating from,

IT
Oracle

http://wilber.shambhala.com/html/interviews/Shambhala_interview.cfm/xid,2676

Author: Dan Mills