RE: OT- Oracle Training

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:54:52 -0800

Yes, exactly.

If you scratch below the surface, and ask "why" (in terms of social theory), you may come to realize that in american technical culture there are two broad categories:

  1. populists/populizers (make products that are ugly, but cheap)
  2. technical elites (make products that are beautiful, but expensive)

Basically MS = #1, and Unix/Oracle/etc = #2

Oracle corp.'s "organizational culture" is simply incapable of acting on "populist logic" because such logic runs contrary to the "value system" (and/or aesthetic preferences) of the technical elites.

Neither "position" is inherently more "good" than the other since they simply represent forms/expressions of different perspectives that arise from underlying universal archetypes.

regards,
ep

On 2 Feb 2001, at 10:39, Nikolay Kumanov wrote:

Date sent:              Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:39:50 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu