Re: Thanks and another book request

From: Pat Hildebrand <pat_at_ssc.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:17:17 -0800

> Rachael
>
> > consultant for that number of hours.... Not profitable to write one.
>
> The very fact that you often repeat this in response to mails that refer to
> your books, makes us think otherwise $$$

I have not written any Oracle books but I have had enough experience with publishers that I really have to step in here. My husband happened to be one of three authors on a monograph that had enough popularity to stick around for quite awhile now. Want to guess his share of the yearly royalties (split equally between the three of them)? Approximately $100. Okay over twenty years that's a couple thousand. He repeatly said that the only reason to write a book was because you got mad at what was available; it certainly wasn't for the money. The monograph was not something that would need to be updated all the time the way an Oracle book would be.

The need for new editions opens up the book to driving your life. I did some work on supplemental work for my husband's textbooks and trying that with a full time job is something I would not wish on my worst enemy. Impossible deadlines still need to be met by you but don't count on getting things back when promised - your time to make the changes is just squeezed.

If Rachael is one of the really limited number of people who make what might be considered a reasonable return on her time, I say more power to her. However, it is more likely that she has to repeat because people don't believe her.

                          Pat
Author: Pat Hildebrand
  INET: pat_at_ssc.upenn.edu