RE: OT- Oracle Training

From: Nikolay Kumanov <nkumanov_at_zgb.bg>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:48:24 -0800

After many years of working for the financial sector, please don't be too angry at me for stating my opinion in financial terms:

There is a company A that has some software that it wants to promote. Therefore, company A considers education and information as a "cost center". Company A makes (almost) all tech info freely available over Internet. Everyone is welcome to read and learn. Many young people, especially from low-income countries (as my country) read, get some skills, get a job in a higher-developed country and promote the products of company A.

Company B wants to make more money than A. Therefore it makes training and education a "profit center". It makes it's source of technical info "MetaB" available only to contract-holders with deep pockets. Most of the seasoned professionals agree that "B" software is better than "A". But many young and bright people find that it's easier and cheaper for them to learn the
(inferior) products of company "A".

Now the rich investor comes. (S)he knows that B products are technically superior, but on the market there is A experience, free A support, free A source of information. Therefore the deep pocketed guy(gal) goes for A.

IMHO, probably company B has better technology, but A has better marketing strategy and market development. And I am very sad to see lesser technologies come to prosperity. I hope that some wise guy at B would say "OK folks, we are opening all the info we have, we want all the young and bright people to have the possibility to study our technology, even if they have not the means to pay for the information. We are providing an affordable way for youngsters to become a B professionals". Could it be a wise (and profitable) investment????

Dr. Nikolay Kumanov

MIS Manager, Zeitungsgruppe Bulgarien GmbH 47, Tsarigradsko chaussee, Sofia 1504, Bulgaria phone: +(359-2)4339-643, fax: +(359-2)946-1286 mailto:nkumanov_at_zgb.bg

"Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock." - Frank Herbert, "Chapterhouse: Dune"

Author: Nikolay Kumanov
  INET: nkumanov_at_zgb.bg