Async I/O on Windows

From: yong huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:20:49 -0800

Hi, Mark,

Async I/O is available on Windows, at least NT. It's not an easy topic. If you think you already know enough about operating systems in general, I suggest you read David Solomon's "Inside WindowsNT". For a lab test, launch Performance Monitor on your NT box and look at the counters for Cache.

I'm not sure by "single thread management" whether you mean NT can't have multiple processes or Oracle on NT runs as one thread. The former is obviously wrong. The latter is a design issue inside Oracle Corporation and the question as to why was asked on this forum before without an answer (without an answer I can remember, that is).

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

you wrote:

Asynch I/O on a Windowze box? supresses a snigger...

To the best of my knowledge there are no Windows based system that can take advantage of this, single thread management can be enough a problem sometimes..

But, I may be wrong.. List?

Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Author: yong huang
  INET: yong321_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Feb 02 2001 - 12:20:49 CST