PROCESSES parameter

From: Djordje Jankovic <djankovic_at_corp.attcanada.ca>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:16:27 -0800

Friends,

Anybody knows for sure what the relation between PROCESSES and SESSIONS parameters (I am not talking of the SESSIONS=1.1*PROCESSES+5), and the counts from v$process and v$session views are ?

I guess that once the number of processes in v$processes reaches PROCESSES parameter value, new sessions are not allowed any more, but I am not sure.

Docs says that PROCESSES is the "maximum number of operating system user processes that can simultaneously connect to an oracle server". Neither v$session nor v$process count only the "user processes": v$session has background atop, and v$process have the parallel processes as well. On the other hand "operating system processes" more relate to v$process, as this is where you have OS process ID.

Any thoughts ?

Djordje

Author: Djordje Jankovic
  INET: djankovic_at_corp.attcanada.ca

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Feb 02 2001 - 12:16:27 CST