RE: Migrating from Access to Oracle

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 05:14:26 -0800

Hi Beatriz

We work with our sales tracking system on Access (2000), and have test systems on Oracle, with most of the sales data imported to test against. SQL*Loader can be quite handy to do this, and once you get the hang of it
(creating the control files for example) it can be quite easy. If you will
be updating Oracle down this path from Access, you can just save the control file away, and not really have to worry about it again. You then just input the path to your controlfile, take you new export every time, and shabang you've got a table full of data..

There are also other options to consider as well. For example, you can link tables from Oracle to access as well. This then means you can still use the Access forms (which can be pretty good), but actually pull the data in from the Oracle tables. You can also create Macros to append all new data from Access to Oracle at any given time..

You will no doubt hear a lot " OH GOD NOT ACCESS!?!?!" from this list at this time as there is a holy war flying around against all Micro$oft products, but in reality, once these routines are set up they run quite well, with near to no interevention required.

There are a few things to bear in mind, like matching data types, as Access has some funny ones out there like MEMO, timestamps. But you can read more about this in the following PDF:

http://otn.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/nt.816/z26073.pdf

All in all, it seems to work well. If you have any specific questions whilst running through this, point them in my direction, and I'll see if I can help you out.

HTH Mark

"To infinity - and BEYOND"

Buzz Lightyear

Author: Mark Leith