RE: OT NT2K vs Unix.

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:52:00 -0800

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Personally, I love sarcasm.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Sometimes, theres a little collateral damage. <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
We can
put up with it in the Persian Gulf, why not here at home? <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
( har
har har )

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Kevin Kostyszyn   [mailto:kevin_at_dulcian.com]Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 5:03   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:   OT NT2K vs Unix.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Another excellent point.  And know, it's not "mean" to intend to   wound, especially if it's mentally.  However, when you really think about   sarcasm, it's really not "mean".  You know like when you say   something really stupid and someone says "Wow, you are so smart!".  It's   not that it hurts, it gets a laugh.

<FONT face=Tahoma

    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com     [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Mohan, RossSent:     Thursday, February 01, 2001 4:38 PMTo: Multiple recipients of     list ORACLE-LSubject: RE: OT NT2K vs Unix.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>Amen......there are very few new "discoveries" and many many     enhancements.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>One of the reasons the Japanese automakers have been KICKING AMERICAN     FANNY
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>for, oh, twenty years, is their simple, dogged *improvement* of our     methods. They even
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>revere William Deming, a guy we just shrugged off in the 50's...he     revolutionized QA
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>and TQM over there. .....
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>oh, btw
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>
    SARCASM:    A
    cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    (
    is it "mean" to intend to wound? )
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>

      <FONT face="Times New Roman"
      size=2>-----Original Message-----<FONT
      face=Arial color=#0000ff>
      <SPAN
      class=637282921-01022001> From: Kevin Kostyszyn
      [mailto:kevin_at_dulcian.com]Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001
      4:18 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject: RE: OT NT2K vs Unix.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Good points and don't worry about the sarcasm, at least you are
      honest about it.  Sometimes I can't tell if people are being mean, or
      sarcastic.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Anyway, back to the argument.
          <FONT face=Arial
      color=#0000ff size=2>What it would seem like to me is that because
      Microsoft is trying to improve their platform you are arguing that they
      are moving more towards Unix.  That's not right.  They are
      trying to improve their system.  Just because the Unix OS already had
      some of the functions that made it more stable doesn't mean that MS is
      copying Unix.  For the love of goodness, if I think that way everyone
      is copying everyone else in some form or another!  When air bags came
      out and car manufacturers starting putting them in their vehicles
      standard, did anyone walk around pointing fingers and saying "Hey, that
      was our idea come up with your own precautionary measures to avoid
      disaster!!!"
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>  hehehhehehe Kev

        <FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com
        [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Rocky WelchSent:
        Thursday, February 01, 2001 3:28 PMTo: Multiple recipients of
        list ORACLE-LSubject: RE: OT NT2K vs
        Unix.
        From the URL:
        <A
        href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/solutions/overview/reliable/default.asp">http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/solutions/overview/reliable/default.asp
        PCs Stay Up and Running
        Memory conflicts and missing or altered system files caused many of
        the system crashes prior to Windows 2000. To put an end to these
        problems, we changed Windows 2000 memory management to reduce the chance
        that software applications will interfere with one another.
        Applications runing in a seprate memory area...HMMMMMM Unix did that
        15 years ago.
        Fewer Reboots
        Performing routine maintenance on your system requires significantly
        fewer reboots, therefore less downtime, with Windows 2000. In addition,
        with its support for Plug and Play, Windows 2000 automatically
        recognizes and adapts to hardware changes. This means users can easily
        add hardware devices such as scanners, DVD players, and speakers without
        rebooting, and with less potential for user error.
        Reboots are also reduced-and reliability increased-through the
        Microsoft hardware device driver certification program. This program
        helps ensure that hardware drivers are compatible with Windows 2000, and
        do not require a reboot after installation. Certified drivers are tested
        and digitally signed by Microsoft. If Windows 2000 detects a driver that
        Microsoft has not digitally signed, it warns users about the risk before
        they install it on their system<A
        href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/solutions/overview/reliable/default.asp">
        Not having to reboot after installing an application....Unix from
        it's beginings.
        How Much More Reliable Is Windows 2000 Professional?
        Third-party studies that assess reliability from three different
        perspectives-lab-based testing, customer-site measurement, and user
        perceptions-conclude that Windows 2000 Professional is the
        most reliable desktop operating system.
        Highest Reliability in Production Environments
        <A
        href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/reviews/nstl.asp">NSTL
        collected uptime data in the real-world environment of several
        customer sites and concluded that the average system uptime between
        failures of Windows 2000 Professional is 13 times more than
        that of Windows 98 and three times more than that of
        Windows NT Workstation 4.0.
        Notice no comparison to Unix. It's like people that hangout with
        socially unacceptable people to make themselves look better (Hey! Wait a
        minute! Is that why alot of people want to hang out with me? ). I guess
        you're right they aren't the same. Unix posts much higher numbers.
        Sorry, it's sarcastic Thursdsay here. I love the debate about Windows
        and Unix. ;o)
          Kevin Kostyszyn <kevin_at_dulcian.com> wrote:

        <BLOCKQUOTE
        style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">

          <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
          size=2>I would disagree with that, how is Windows becoming like
          Unix?

            <FONT face=Tahoma
            size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com
            [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Rocky
            WelchSennt: Thursday, February 01, 2001 2:01
            PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
            ORACLE-LSubject: Re: OT NT2K vs
            Unix.
            The same prediction was made at least 5 years ago. At the
            rate Microsoft is going, Windows will be a direct form of Unix. It
            becomes more like it with every release.
            -Rocky
              "Mohan, Ross" <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
            wrote:
            <BLOCKQUOTE
            style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">

              Yea, but......
              Win2K Datacenter will just decimate Unix. I
              predict that, in 5 years, there will be
              two or three Unix vendors, fighting over <FONT
              size=2>the 45% of the market that DataCenter hasn't eaten.

              -----Original Message----- <FONT
              size=2>From: Steve Orr [<A
              href="mailto:sorr_at_arzoo.com">mailto:sorr_at_arzoo.com]]]
              Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 1:01 PM
              To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
              Subject: RE:
              OT_RE:_Réf._:_Re:_asyn_i/o_on_sun_
              Close. It's Dave Cutler. There's too much old
              DOS/Windows backward compatibility for
              WinNT/2000 to achieve stability like VMS despite Cutler's
              leadership.
              I knew VMS and you, Mr. NT, are no VMS!

              With apologies to Senator Bentsen,
              Steve Orr
              -----Original Message----- <FONT
              size=2>stephane Sent: Thursday, February
              01, 2001 9:22 AM&< To: Multiple
              recipients of list ORACLE-L
              NT is based on VMS (talk about a real OS) and if
              my memory is good the guy's name is
              Cutter.
              Do I win a toaster ? a microwave oven ? a
              palm-pilot ?
              --- "Mohan, Ross" <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com> a
              écrit : > "...Standing,
              corrected, and sniggering....." > Odd
              picture, that...... > <FONT
              size=2>> > Anyways, pop quiz:
              > > On what OS
              kernel technology is NT based? >
              > Who was the original designer and what was
              his/her > first OS? <FONT
              size=2>> >
              -- Please see the official
              ORACLE-L FAQ: <A target=_blank
              href="http://www.orafaq.com/">http://www.oraaafaq.com
              -- Author: Steve
              Orr   INET: sorr_at_arzoo.com

              Fat City Network Services    --
              (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 <FONT
              size=2>San Diego,
              California      &&  --
              Public Internet access / Mailing Lists <FONT
              size=2>--------------------------------------------------------------------
              To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send
              an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com
              (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in <FONT
              size=2>the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB
              ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you
              want to be removed from).  You may <FONT
              size=2>also send the HELP command for other information (like
              subscribing).

            Do You Yahoo!?- Get personalized email addresses from
            Yahoo! Mail Personal
            Address - only $35 a year!

        Do You Yahoo!?- Get personalized email addresses from <A
        href="http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/">Yahoo! Mail Personal Address
        - only $35 a

year! Received on Thu Feb 01 2001 - 16:52:00 CST