RE: OT NT2K vs Unix.

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 13:40:55 -0800

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Amen......there are very few new "discoveries" and many many enhancements.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
One of
the reasons the Japanese automakers have been KICKING AMERICAN FANNY
for,
oh, twenty years, is their simple, dogged *improvement* of our methods. They even
revere
William Deming, a guy we just shrugged off in the 50's...he revolutionized QA
and
TQM over there. .....
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
oh,
btw
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
SARCASM:    A cutting,
often ironic remark intended to wound.

( is
it "mean" to intend to wound? )
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<FONT   face=Arial color=#0000ff>
  <SPAN
  class=637282921-01022001> From: Kevin Kostyszyn   [mailto:kevin_at_dulcian.com]Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 4:18   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:   OT NT2K vs Unix.
  Good
  points and don't worry about the sarcasm, at least you are honest about   it.  Sometimes I can't tell if people are being mean, or sarcastic.

  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Anyway, back to the argument.
      <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>What it would seem like to me is that because Microsoft   is trying to improve their platform you are arguing that they are moving more   towards Unix.  That's not right.  They are trying to improve their   system.  Just because the Unix OS already had some of the functions that   made it more stable doesn't mean that MS is copying Unix.  For the love   of goodness, if I think that way everyone is copying everyone else in some   form or another!  When air bags came out and car manufacturers starting   putting them in their vehicles standard, did anyone walk around pointing   fingers and saying "Hey, that was our idea come up with your own precautionary   measures to avoid disaster!!!"
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>  hehehhehehe Kev

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com     [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Rocky WelchSent:     Thursday, February 01, 2001 3:28 PMTo: Multiple recipients of     list ORACLE-LSubject: RE: OT NT2K vs Unix.     From the URL:
    <A
    href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/solutions/overview/reliable/default.asp">http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/solutions/overview/reliable/default.asp     PCs Stay Up and Running
    Memory conflicts and missing or altered system files caused many of the     system crashes prior to Windows 2000. To put an end to these problems, we     changed Windows 2000 memory management to reduce the chance that software     applications will interfere with one another.     Applications runing in a seprate memory area...HMMMMMM Unix did that 15     years ago.
    Fewer Reboots
    Performing routine maintenance on your system requires significantly     fewer reboots, therefore less downtime, with Windows 2000. In addition, with     its support for Plug and Play, Windows 2000 automatically recognizes and     adapts to hardware changes. This means users can easily add hardware devices     such as scanners, DVD players, and speakers without rebooting, and with less     potential for user error.
    Reboots are also reduced-and reliability increased-through the Microsoft     hardware device driver certification program. This program helps ensure that     hardware drivers are compatible with Windows 2000, and do not require a     reboot after installation. Certified drivers are tested and digitally signed     by Microsoft. If Windows 2000 detects a driver that Microsoft has not     digitally signed, it warns users about the risk before they install it on     their system<A
    href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/solutions/overview/reliable/default.asp">     Not having to reboot after installing an application....Unix from it's     beginings.
    How Much More Reliable Is Windows 2000 Professional?     Third-party studies that assess reliability from three different     perspectives-lab-based testing, customer-site measurement, and user     perceptions-conclude that Windows 2000 Professional is the most     reliable desktop operating system.
    Highest Reliability in Production Environments     <A
    href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/reviews/nstl.asp">NSTL     collected uptime data in the real-world environment of several customer     sites and concluded that the average system uptime between failures of

    Windows 2000 Professional is 13 times more than that of
    Windows 98 and three times more than that of
    Windows NT Workstation 4.0.

    Notice no comparison to Unix. It's like people that hangout with socially     unacceptable people to make themselves look better (Hey! Wait a minute! Is     that why alot of people want to hang out with me? ). I guess you're right     they aren't the same. Unix posts much higher numbers.     Sorry, it's sarcastic Thursdsay here. I love the debate about Windows and     Unix. ;o)
      Kevin Kostyszyn <kevin_at_dulcian.com> wrote:

    <BLOCKQUOTE
    style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">

      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>I would disagree with that, how is Windows becoming like
      Unix?

        <FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com
        [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Rocky
        WelchSennt: Thursday, February 01, 2001 2:01 PMTo:
        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: Re: OT NT2K vs
        Unix.
        The same prediction was made at least 5 years ago. At the rate
        Microsoft is going, Windows will be a direct form of Unix. It becomes
        more like it with every release.
        -Rocky
          "Mohan, Ross" <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
        wrote:
        <BLOCKQUOTE
        style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">

          Yea, but......
          Win2K Datacenter will just decimate Unix. I predict
          that, in 5 years, there will be two or three
          Unix vendors, fighting over the 45% of the
          market that DataCenter hasn't eaten.
          -----Original Message----- <FONT
          size=2>From: Steve Orr [<A
          href="mailto:sorr_at_arzoo.com">mailto:sorr_at_arzoo.com]]]
          Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 1:01 PM
          To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
          Subject: RE:
          OT_RE:_Réf._:_Re:_asyn_i/o_on_sun_
          Close. It's Dave Cutler. There's too much old
          DOS/Windows backward compatibility for
          WinNT/2000 to achieve stability like VMS despite Cutler's
          leadership.
          I knew VMS and you, Mr. NT, are no VMS!

          With apologies to Senator Bentsen, <FONT
          size=2>Steve Orr
          -----Original Message----- <FONT
          size=2>stephane Sent: Thursday, February 01,
          2001 9:22 AM&< To: Multiple recipients
          of list ORACLE-L
          NT is based on VMS (talk about a real OS) and if
          my memory is good the guy's name is
          Cutter.
          Do I win a toaster ? a microwave oven ? a palm-pilot
          ?
          --- "Mohan, Ross" <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com> a
          écrit : > "...Standing,
          corrected, and sniggering....." > Odd
          picture, that...... > <FONT
          size=2>> > Anyways, pop quiz:
          > > On what OS kernel
          technology is NT based? > <FONT
          size=2>> Who was the original designer and what was his/her
          > first OS? >

          -- Please see the official
          ORACLE-L FAQ: <A target=_blank
          href="http://www.orafaq.com/">http://www.oraaafaq.com
          -- Author: Steve Orr
            INET: sorr_at_arzoo.com
          Fat City Network Services    -- (858)
          538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego,
          California      &&  --
          Public Internet access / Mailing Lists <FONT
          E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note
          EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the
          message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
          from).  You may also send the HELP
          command for other information (like subscribing).

        Do You Yahoo!?- Get personalized email addresses from <A
        href="http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/">Yahoo! Mail Personal Address
        - only $35 a year!