RE: OT_RE:_Réf._:_Re:_asy

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:12:57 -0800

OK, I make a REAL effort not to reply to The List on OTs, but this one crosses the line.

NT is NOT, I repeat, *NOT* based on VMS, VAX/VMS, OpenVMS, or whatever anyone wants to call it these days (besides dead). While Dave Cutler was co-designer of VMS, along with Mr. Hustvedt (sp?), he hasn't touched it since v3, I believe. Some of the original design of VMS came along with Dave, but the implementation left much for me to desire.

Some of the things in NT that may have come from VMS are process protected memory, preemptive multitasking (although NT only has 3 priorities, Tuke 5, VMS 64), working sets, and paged and nonpaged pools. Then again, most of those are available on my Amiga.

Some major things in VMS that (probably) are not in NT: true clustering with distributed lock management (or did they ever properly fix Chihuahua Pack, erm, "Wolfpack"?), asynchronous system traps, batch queuing, comprehensive error logging, 64-bit virtual addressing, designated swap and page space, secure password authentication, scalability, reliability, and not having to reboot everytime I want to add a freaking screen saver for Pete's sake.

And whose idea was it to integrate the *video* into the NT kernel?

At least it's Payday and Beer Day, so I'm going to go now. Just my .02. :)

[soapbox: off]

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com