Re: Backup and Recovery Question

From: Bunyamin K.Karadeniz <bunyamink_at_havelsan.com.tr>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:14:46 -0800

As far as I know.
Read carefully.
<FONT face=Arial

size=2>Time1...............Time2..........................Time3

Time1: Backup time( you said 4 days
ago)
Time2: drop table command time (you said 9 AM)
Time 3: Now .

&#304;f you are sure you have all the archieves between T1 and T2 and between T2 and T3. Then

You must do an incomplete recovery. No other chance.. but do not be panic. you will recover the data between T2 and T3.

***  FIRSTLY BACKUP YOUR DATABASE NOW . DO NOT FORGET IT.
 tHEN

1) Copy the backup datafiles (4 days ago files to the database's real datafile directory.) That means return to 4 days ago.

2) >SELECT * FROM v&archived_log; // to control if the arhieve files exist between T1 and T2 ) and be sure that they occur in the operating system.

3) >RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL TIME 'T2';  // bE SURE OF SYNTAX.GIVE A TIME 5 SECONDS BEFORE THE DROP TABLE COMMAND EXECUTED.
 You will recieve suggestion messages for each
archive file . Go with ENTER key Until you take the message 'MEDIA RECOVERY COMPLETED'
  Now you came to T2 time but now you must
open the database With RESETLOGS.    **************DO

NOT FORGET IT********************* Very Critic ..

4) >ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; //
***Never forget RESETLOGS;***I again say.

5) Now take the export of the database . Because you will import the dropped table into database when you come to T3. For example;
    >EXP scott/tiger

file=C:\exp.dmp tables=dept;

6) Now connect with internal and shutdown the DB.

7) You will restore the dbf files that
you backed up in time T3. Copy the dbf files of T3 time to their original place in operating system. (Where DBMS looks for them). Now you are again in T&#304;me T3 . But you have an export of the dropped table.

8 ) oPEN THE DB Then import THE TABLE.

After you import it , in my opinion again take a backup.

   THIS was LONG , I GOT

TIRED WHILE WRITING THEM BUT MAY (IN MY OPINION WILL) HELP YOU.
  but aGA&#304;N I REPEAT .
  ****BEFORE ALL THE OPERATION S   TAKE A
BACKUP
  **** BE SURE YOU HAVE ALL ARCHIVE FILES.
  **** DO NOT FORGET TO OPEN THE DATABASE WITH RESETLOGS IN THE 4th
STEP..

<FONT face=Arial

size=2>

BYEE

Bunyamin Karadeniz
An Oracle Lover .
Want to be a DBA.
But no Chance.

<BLOCKQUOTE

  Hi,

  I have a situation like this.

  I found a user dropping a table today at 9 AM but   I came to know about that only at 2 PM the same day. I have a backup which was   taken the previous day at 4 PM. My database runs in Archivelog   mode.

  I want to restore the table. If I put the   database in recovery mode and recover using until time option then I may loose   all the transactions that happened between 9 to 2. But I dont want to loose   that.

  I donot have a export.

  How do I accomplish this?

  Help Appreciated.

  Vinay Received on Thu Feb 01 2001 - 12:14:46 CST