Re: ***Problem***

From: Marin Dimitrov <marin_at_sirma.bg>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 06:09:55 -0800

> No, No not for this statement , my group leader tells that rownum is not
> used so much in applications becouse it can give wrong results sometimes.
> do not know if it is correct . I ask you for approve him or not..

we use ROWNUM restrictions extensively without any problem

probably your manager has a mistaken by a wrong use of ROWNUM restriction and ORDER BY clause in the same query (rownums are assigned as rows are processed, before the sorting step so if u use "rownum < X" and ORDER BY together u'll get wrong results, u have to use subqueries as was shown in one of the previous emails)

hth,

    Marin

"When someone is seeking, it happens quite easily that he only sees the thing that he is seeking; that he is unable to find anything, unable to absorb anything, because he is only thinking of the thing he is seeking, because he is obsessed with his goal. Seeking means: to have a goal; but finding means: to be free, to be receptive, to have no goal. ..."
                                Herman Hesse, "Siddhartha"

Author: Marin Dimitrov
  INET: marin_at_sirma.bg