Re: Locally managed tablespaces

From: yong huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:20:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi, All,

I can't figure out how to migrate my dictionary controlled tablespace to a locally managed with uniform size.
sys.dbms_space_admin.tablespace_migrate_to_local seems only to allow you to migrate to auto allocated LMT. So I emailed Jonathan Lewis and (hope he won't mind) says:

begin quote**************
What you are seeing is expected behaviour, the allocation_type stays as USER, and you cannot convert a dictionary managed tablespace into a UNIFORM one (unless it happens to be completely empty, I think, although there may be one other special condition which I want to test). You only get the benefit of the bitmap technology.

|Question: I can't seem to migrate a dictionary-controlled TS to local TS with
|uniform size. I can only migrate it to default, i.e. autoallocate. Could you
|show me a simple screen dump to migrate to a uniform sized? Thanks a lot.

Therefore there's not much benefit you gain by migrating your traditional tablespace to LMT except through dropping and re-creating it. Who's using the autoallocate instead of uniform size option of LMT out there?

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ Received on Wed Jan 31 2001 - 12:20:03 CST