RE: Performance Manager - connecting to database problem- help if

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:45:15 -0000

Hi Raja,

Firstly, Metalink is a very useful resource for these errors. That said...

The Oracle data gather alert log file may provide some useful information - check at \oracle_home\odg\log\alert_dg.log

        Note, once you get it working you can set up OEM to monitor this file for errors.

Metalink Note:113400.1 Subject: VTM-5 or VTM-7 THEN JAVA.NET.CONNECTION EXCEPTION:CONNECTION REFUSED states that you will get this error if the DG isn't running, so your first issue is to work out why the DG won't start.

Metalink Note:1018981.102 Subject: Starting Data Gatherer Fails with NT error 1067 when Performance Util Installed says:

Cause: The Oracle Performance Utility is installed & is conflicting with the Data Gatherer service.
Fix: Deinstall Oracle Performance Utility.

Oracle Performance Utility installs a dll into $ORACLE_HOME\bin called operf.dll and adds a corresponding registry entry.

To start the DG successfully, deinstall the Oracle Performance Utility, or remove or rename that entry from the registry, then start the DG service.

Doing this will cause a loss of the Performance Utility functionality which allows you to view Oracle DB performance metrics through the NT Performance Manager.

I do not install the Oracle performance utility function at all as it seems to conflict with a number of other areas.

Also, if your service is called OracleSydneyDataGatherer then I would suspect that your home is called Sydney rather than your SID - maybe this is related to your problem.

Regards,
Bruce Reardon
mailto:bruce.reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au