Re: Off Topic-Forms application question

From: <MTPConsulting_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:50:34 -0800

Avoid Forms 5.0 -- lots of problems with that version.  Forms 6 or 6i should be fine.  Make sure you apply the latest patches on either -- there were bugs in the first releases.  I haven't used Forms 6, but I did just finish a conversion from Forms 4.5 to 6i and it went fairly smoothly.  I did a conversion 2 years ago from 4.5 to 5.0 and that was frustrating -- 5.0 was and stayed very buggy.

You might want to consider using the Forms server and "web" forms.  Forms 6i works very nicely with the browser and it really eliminates a lot of deployment issues.

Marc Perkowitz
MTP Systems Consulting

In a message dated 1/30/01 9:07:34 AM Central Standard Time, RICHARD.T.CALE_at_saic.com writes:

Hi All,

One of my co-workers has a forms 4.5 application on Oracle 7.3 running on Sun Solaris.
They recently installed Oracle 8.0.5 on another Sun box. He is needing to move the forms application to
new computer. He says forms 4.5 is unsupported and wants to know what version should he go to
that will be the easiest upgrade from forms 4.5. For ex if developer 6.0 is installed will it convert the
forms 4.5 relatively pain free. Does anyone have any suggestion/experience?

Thanks,
Rick Cale, Science Applications International Corp. Phone:865-481-2198, fax:865-481-8555
e-mail: caler_at_saic.com Received on Tue Jan 30 2001 - 12:50:34 CST