Re: Help needed on Oracle Upgrade 7.0 to 7.3.4 on SCO Unix

From: <MTPConsulting_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:23:23 EST

If you're happy with using an export/import, you shouldn't have any problem going from 7.0 to 8i. Just be aware of performance differences. If you're using cost-based optimization, there are significant changes to the optimizer between those versions. If you're using rules-based, you're ok for now, but you will likely want to check into switching to cost-based to take advantage of all of the new optimization techniques.

Two years ago, I moved a database from 5.1A (!!) to 7.3.4 directly using export/import. If that worked smoothly, I would think just about any export/import will work fine.

Marc Perkowitz
MTP Systems Consulting

In a message dated 1/29/2001 12:14:21 PM Central Standard Time, rudywahab_at_hotmail.com writes:

<< Hi,

   We are planning to upgrade our obsolete Oracle database version 7.0 to  Oracle 8i. The platform is SCO Unixware 7.1.

   Has anyone perform this kind of upgrade before? Is it possible to upgrade  directly from 7.0 to 8.1.6? Or do we have to upgrade from 7.0 to 7.3.4 to  8.1.6?

   I have been trying to find documentation on upgrade 7.0 to 7.3.4 on SCO  Unix on metalink but I couldn't find any. Would appreciate if someone know  any good documentation on that.

   Thanks for the help.. Received on Mon Jan 29 2001 - 17:23:23 CST