RE: Vertically splicing the file

From: yong huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:06:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Raj,

Since you may have problems with all other suggestions, I think the only choice is have your Perl "hacker" work out the simple script for you.

If you generally need the capability to vertically split a text file, the simplest on Windows is DOS window: On NT, open DOS box, right click on the title bar, Properties, Options. Check QuickEdit Mode. Then you can always vertically highlight and press return to copy text. If you don't enable QuickEdit Mode, then you have to go to Mark every time you highlight and copy.

Other tools (other than already mentioned by other people) that allow you to vertically select text are Windows version of SQL*Plus, Microsoft Word (Press ALT and move mouse).

While I'm at it, let me tell everyone another less known text editing trick. If you need to run unix2pc to convert the carriage returns / lines feeds to the Windows format, you can simply use DOS EDIT to open the file, Save (without change) and Exit. In order to do this, the file has to be less than 65536 in size and filename conforms to 8.3 format.

I'll stop here. If any one has esoteric text manipulation requirement, just email me.

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

you wrote:

I probably didn't make it clear ... sorry for that. I can't use cut on Unix because the line is just too long. I'll check the cygwin. I have also contacted our resident perl hacker to see if he could whip up a small script in perl for me.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies ... Have a good weekend
Raj

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices. Received on Sat Jan 27 2001 - 23:06:03 CST