RE: Euro symbol support

From: Kirsh, Gary <gary.kirsh_at_gs.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:43:51 -0500

Dick,

Thanks, I've read these Metalink docs, but didn't like what they had to say! It seems that you can only convert without rebuilding if your database is currently using US7ASCII. The Metalink Note:119164.1 "Changing Database Character set - Valid Superset definitions" lists all valid conversions, and they all start with US7ASCII.

Sigh,
Gary

Gary Kirsh
Next Extent, Inc.

Author: "Kirsh; Gary" <gary.kirsh_at_gs.com> Date: 1/26/2001 7:20 AM

Here's a nasty problem: Many databases, all with character set WE8ISO8859P1, which does not support the Euro symbol. It looks like we need to convert to WE8ISO8859P15 or WE8MSWIN1252 to get Euro support. The ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET ... command doesn't work because the target character set is not a superset of the source set, so it seems that it is necessary to recreate the databases and exp/imp. Anyone know of a less painful way to get there from here? Databases are 8.1.5 and 8.1.7 on both Sun and NT.

Also, anyone have any advice on which character set to choose, WE8ISO8859P15, WE8MSWIN1252 or any other? I'm thinking WE8MSWIN1252, because according to Metalink, Forms versions before 6i don't support WE8ISO8859P15, and there are some Forms 4.5 apps here.

Much thanks,

Gary Kirsh
Next Extent, Inc

Author: Kirsh, Gary
  INET: gary.kirsh_at_gs.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jan 26 2001 - 11:43:51 CST