RE: A Question asked in OCP Exam..

From: yong huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:26:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Nikolay,

My test shows that dropping a table from a locally managed read-only tablespace works. But truncating it does not.

As a side note, my original tablespace was dictionary managed and read write. I migrated to locally managed and altered it read only. I cannot alter it read only and then migrate to local, which throws ORA-3245.

[Again, I advise you try it yourself. Oracle DBAs are supposed to type fast (because SQL commands are not as terse as UNIX commands!) Typing that many words takes the same number of seconds to try the SQL commands to test your assumption.]

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

you wrote:

I understand that in the case of a read-only tablespace only operations that involve only the data dictionary are permitted. As dropping the table modifies only the DD, it works. But I suppose that space management operations are to be performed even in the case of read-only tablespace. If it is dictionary managed, no problem. What if it is a locally managed one? The original question doesn't specify what kind of tablespace we are dealing with. Is it possible to drop a table from a read-only locally managed tablespace? Can a locally managed tablespace be made read-only? I was unable to find the answers in the manuals.

Inquiring minds.....(or was it idle minds?)

Dr. Nikolay Kumanov

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices. Received on Fri Jan 26 2001 - 15:26:31 CST