RE: Response to how to stop tracing

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:47:22 -0800

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C087E1.902614A0

        charset="iso-8859-1"

see my comments "inline"

thank you for the info. Steve Adams had also provided that information which I saw in the trace_waits script at his site ( http://www.ixora.com.au/ ) It looks like the default tracing time for "set_ev" is "forever"?

> Where do you get the info about the last argument of
> sys.dbms_system.set_ev?

I found the information from the book "Oracle Built-in Packages", O'Reilly press, authors Feuerstein, Dye & Beresniewicz, which says that the parameters to dbms_system.set_ev are:
user session id, user session serial number, trace event number, trace event level, trace event name.
BTW the book also says "The SET_EV procedure should not be invoked by end users or called by PL/SQL programs. Its usage is limited to Oracle internal purposes or under instruction of Oracle Technical Support."

> By hacking into $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/prvtutil.plb,
> that argument looks like
> the name of something.

The book Oracle8 Backup and Recovery, Oracle Press, author Rama Velpuri, says that internal event codes can be found in the "rdmbs/mesg/oraus.msg" file on UNIX, or in "ORA_RDBMS:ERROR.MSG" in VMS.

>And how do you reach the number 15 as a level?

Rama Velpuri's book says "Usually, the LEVEL needs to be set betweeen 1 and 10. A value of 10 would mean to dump all the information for that event. ... Oracle Worldwide Customer Support would advise you on what the value of LEVEL should be." I chose 15 because a fellow employee told me "Use 15 for this event to get the most information."

Additional Information:
Rama Velpuri's book says the following:
Setting Trace Events
SQL syntax is
ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS 'event syntax LEVEL n' ; ...
event syntax has several keywords
-first keyword can be an event number or the word "immediate". "immediate" means that it is an unconditional event and dumping to trace starts right after the command is issued. (don't use immediate in the init.ora) -second and third keywords are almost always "trace" and "name". -if you don't use immediate, then the next keyword indicates how long the tracing is enabled; the keyword "forever" keeps the event active for the life of the session (alter session) or instance (init.ora) Received on Fri Jan 26 2001 - 15:47:22 CST