Re: Database Sizing doubts..

From: paquette stephane <stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:04:58 -0800 (PST)

I'm assuming that you're running Oracle 8i;

Do not loose your time in sizing tables and indexes using complex formulas.
Create the table, fill it with around 1000 representative rows. Check the space used by these and extrapolate for the planned number of rows.

For the tablespaces, use them to split IO then use them to hold objects of the same nature and size. If you want, you can put only one table in a tablespace if the table is big. You can also partition a table and have each partition in its own tablespace.

Manage the storage parameters at the tablespace level, not at the object level. Do you want to spend days adjusting storage for each objects in each environment ? I don't.

Having objects with more than one extent will not put the system on its knees .

Regards

Stephane Paquette
DBA Oracle
stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com