Re:RE: Drive Configuration

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:30:07 -0500

Kevin,

    We also "paid the price" for a raid-5 disk array. The array was not a problem of and by itself, but the fact that to save money we only bought one controller was. In this case we had one SCSI channel into and out of the array.  Did not matter how you mapped things, you were stuck with the physical bottle neck. One other problem that brings, is that when that single controller fails
(not a matter of IF, Murphy will sooner or later pay you a visit) you may be
left with having to completely rebuild the array from scratch. Once!!! Been there, done that, damn that hurts!!

Now if Woody's system has internal disks that are being raided internally, that's a horse of a different color & then I really prefer his layout. Except that I like having the on-line redo somewhere else than around db files, or each on it's own spindle.

Dick Goulet

Subject: RE: Drive Configuration
Author: "Kevin Kostyszyn" <kevin_at_dulcian.com> Date: 1/25/2001 7:56 AM

I am curious Dick, why would they pay the price with a RAID 5 config with more than one connection. I am assuming you mean the array configuration? Every Disk having it's own seperate cable? Why is this bad? Because you are not getting maximum efficiency out of the system? Just curious. Kevin

Author: "Woody Mckay" <wmckay_at_hydrogenmedia.com>
Date:       1/25/2001 7:01 AM

I was asked by some hardware people of my suggested drive configuration for a 5 drive configuration.

I recommended the following:

Drive 1 - Oracle database software
Drive 2 - System tablespace, control file_1, online redo log files
Drive 3 - Roll back (RBS) tablespace, Temp tablespace, control file_2
Drive 4 - Data tablespace, control file_3
Drive 5 - Index tablespace, archived log files

I thought this would optimize the performance of small transactions and small queries. I also thought it would optimize I/O performance by distributing the tablespaces. The database is for a Cold Fusion web site where there will be mostly reads but plenty of writes.

They disregarded this configuration and decided to go with a raid-5 with everything on the single raid for recoverability. I caved in and said ok. Were they right?

Sincerely,

Woody

Author: Woody Mckay
  INET: wmckay_at_hydrogenmedia.com

also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Kevin Kostyszyn INET: kevin_at_dulcian.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L