RE: PCTTHRESHOLD in IOT

From: Sam Bootsma <SamB_at_cpas.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:12:57 -0500

Hi Arvind,

This comes from the Oracle 8i Concepts manual, chapter 10 on Schema objects.

Sam.

Index-Organized Tables with Row Overflow Area B-tree index entries are usually quite small since they only consist of the pair <key, ROWID>. In index-organized tables, however, the B-tree index entries can be very large since they consist of the pair <key, non_key_column_values>. If the index entry gets very large, then the leaf nodes may end up storing one row or row-piece, thereby destroying the dense clustering property of the B-tree index.

Oracle provides an OVERFLOW clause to handle this problem. You can specify an overflow tablespace as well as a threshold value. The threshold is specified as a percentage of the block size (PCTTHRESHOLD).

If the row size is greater than the specified threshold value, then the non-key column values for the row that exceeds the threshold are stored in the specified overflow tablespace. In such a case the index entry contains a <key, rowhead> pair, where the rowhead contains the beginning portion of the rest of the columns. It is like a regular row-piece, except it points to an overflow row-piece that contains the remaining column values.

See Also:
Oracle8i Administrator's Guide for examples of using the OVERFLOW clause

Author: Arvind Aggarwal
  INET: oradba9_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Thu Jan 25 2001 - 16:12:57 CST