RE: GOSH...Look!!

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:40:36 -0600

The reason is that SQL*Plus and SVRMGRL is not taking any other action after receiving UNIX Signal sent by CTRL-\. Typically this key sequence sends the QUIT signal (SIGQUIT) to the process. It is equivalent to a 'kill -QUIT <pid>' command. And 'kill' command with QUIT, means 'terminate with core dump'. (Check out 'man kill' for more info). Unless SIGQUIT is trapped by the program, you will always get a core dump, because that's what you are asking by pressing CTRL-\.

Hope this helps..